Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hey metal, look out!


So, I have lots of other things I should be saving or spending my money on these days but sometimes all that goes out the window when a deal comes along.
I've been on the lookout for a lathe for several years and they are usually too expensive, too worn out, too small, or most commonly, 3 phase power. The power deal is workable, just not something I wanted to deal with.

Craigslist has treated me well, and this was no different. This is a 14 inch swing with about an 8 foot bed Carrol-Jamieson lathe from about the 40's I would guess. So, I got it home, now how the hell to unload it without tipping this top heavy old iron over.




First we need a good anchor point to run the winch line back to the lathe. Winch it on and winch it off, all while pulling the same direction.


Next comes lots of cribbing and a good high lift jack. Once it's off the trailer and on the blocks, begin the task of jacking and lowering it down without squishing yourself. Repeat for the other end until it's setting on the shop floor.




Ta-Da! Push into position, wait until the shop is wired to start making mass quantities of metal shavings.




No comments:

Post a Comment